Sunday, January 26, 2014

Big House Red 2012 Review: "Criminally Delicious"

Last night I tried Big House Wines' 'Big House Red 2012'.

Big House Wines' Big House Red 2012

Let me start off by saying that I'm not a huge red wine drinker. I've been told it's an acquired taste, so I've been making a serious effort to speed up the process by continuing to try new reds at every opportunity. 


This is definitely one of my favourite red wines I've tried. 

On the nose you'll get aromas of blackberries, raspberries, and just a touch of spice. The clean, fruit-forward palate consists of juicy black fruit and soft tannins. It's medium-bodied, so it is definitely enjoyable to sip on its own as I did. It would also pair well with grilled meats or a meaty red pasta dish. It's a dry red, coming in at a 1 on the sugar scale or 12 grams of sugar per litre (12g/l). Dark cherry and vanilla flavours come through on the finish, but don't linger for too long (which I liked). Big House Red is a blend, but I couldn't seem to find what grape varietals were used. It retails for $13.45 at the LCBO here in Ontario, so it's affordable without compromising on taste. 

I would definitely recommend Big House Red 2012 if you're looking for a nice red under $15. Check out Big House Wines at their website, or Twitter for some cheeky jokes at Justin Bieber's expense.

2 comments:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed it as well! Would have gone really well with our pasta!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need to have another pasta night soon...including wine obviously!

      Delete